Thursday 8 May 2014

Effective Writing Instruction Chapter 1

After changing my focus to working on my pedagogy of writing I have been reading Alison Davis book. The one thing that I have taken from the first chapter is the need for students to be self regulated writers. This term 'self regulation' is not new to me. However, I have struggled with the how?? To create it in my classroom. Alison has lead to prompting questions for students to reflect on to develop self regulation. These are:

  1. Why am I writing this? Who am I writing this for? What kind of writing is this?
  2. What information do I need to be able to write?  How will I plan to use this information effectively?
  3. Why have I made this decision? Why have I chosen this word/phrase/ form of sentence? What are the alternatives?
  4. What have I learned about my writing?  What have I learned from my writing? Why was this difficult? What did I do well?  What are my future targets?  What will help me reach these?  

I am going to work with number 4's set of questions this term and introduce it in on a Thursday before we head off to tech.  At this point my students have usually blogged their piece and are ready to reflect.

No comments:

Post a Comment